If you’re experiencing a sharp pain in your teeth when you drink hot and cold drinks, or you eat sweet or sour foods, then you probably have sensitive teeth. It is an unpleasant sensation and can mean you avoid certain foods and drinks, but don’t worry it can be managed and doesn’t mean there’s anything serious to worry about.
Sensitive teeth can be caused by a number of things including:
- Receding gums exposing the dentine which allows the heat, or cold to reach the nerve.
- Overly hard brushing which wears down the enamel and exposes the dentin
- Tooth decay near the gum line or gum disease
- Damage to the teeth through chipping or grinding your teeth
- Plaque build-up on the surfaces of your roots
- Tooth-whitening and dental work can cause temporary tooth sensitivity, but this will pass
There are a few things that you can do to ease the discomfort, the most important one would be to take special care of brushing, flossing and using an antiseptic mouthwash every day. However, be gentle and consider using a soft-bristle toothbrush, alongside a special toothpaste for sensitive teeth.
It’s probably nothing to worry about, but it’s best to check with your dentist if you start to experience sensitivity so we can make sure it isn’t being caused by an oral health issue. Please come and see us at our Marbella dental surgery if you are in pain and we will give you a check-up and let you know what is causing the problem and tell you the steps we can take to solve it. Contact us today!